Mark Andrew's 5 Reasons You'll Be Glad You Missed Gaga
by Mark Andrew
posted Aug 7 2014 2:26AM
1. The opening acts were painful. Who was that metal band making everyone cover their ears? And DJ Starlight? Can someone tell me what she brings to the stage besides a friendship with Lady Gaga prior to her fame? I admire the loyalty, but sorry, her monotonous, dial tone house set had everyone in my area begging for it to end. Where was the next big up and coming band? Or how about a GLBT, cutting edge or socially conscious artist who is making waves right now like Mary Lambert, Meghan Trainor, Charlie XCX or anything that's not what you did last tour or a friend riding your gravy train?
2. When she finally showed up it took SIX songs before Ms. Gaga got to anything the audience cared about. All stiffs until she finally played Just Dance. And the show started with her standing still for what seemed like forever. The shock and awe of her mere presence works for a minute or two but eventually you do have to sing and dance. No really. Go. Any minute now. Go! Hello?
3. There's a really uncomfortable and awkward God-complex in this show. She proudly proclaimed that when "Just Dance" was released in 2008 the most authentic fan base of the new millennium began. I adore you Gaga but that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. No one who follows any other band besides you is authentic in who they are or how they live? Fans of Coldplay, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Jack White, Michael Buble and U2 just don't get it right? Also last night, the message of be yourself, love yourself and be tolerant of others seemed to be choked around a tortured tie in to her failing album 'Artpop' where as last time it was simply a message of support to the GLBT community, now it's the "Artpop" movement. Um.. Ok.
4. Born This Way was performed as a sad piano ballad. Isn't this supposed to be a happy, in your face, get up and go song of empowerment and excitement? I know you already rocked it on the last tour, but not everyone got to see that. Some of these fans were seeing you for the first time! Why did you pull all the joy out of one of your greatest songs? And where was You And I?
5. The choreography was clunky and out of sync in parts and where is your band? Why can't we see them? Even when they were on screen they were grayed out. You're supposed to be the raw authentic rock star who plays live and sings live. This is what sets you apart from Britney Spears, Justin Bieber and all the other manufactured pop. Yet it was clear you sang behind a track most of the night and for a lot of songs weren't on cue. Then the songs Swine and Gypsy to end the night? What?
Alright look! The costumes were amazing. The set and lights were stunning. Her hair was dang fabulous. The letter she read from a fan was moving. No other pop artist I know of can sit at a piano and let it all hang out the way she does, but our dear Gaga needs to rethink this show. The edge we saw 3 years ago at Pepsi Center was missing last night.
Filed Under :
Britney Spears, Jack White, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Mark Andrew, Mary Lambert, Meghan Trainor, Michael Buble, Missed Gaga, Taylor Swift