Dear Friend or Family Member,
I am excited to hear that you are embarking on a new adventure by choosing to move to a new home. I am confident your new home will serve you well until which time you decide to move again.
As your friend or family member, it has fallen to me to help you move. Let me stress that this is a task I am more than willing to help with, however, moving sucks! I won’t enjoy it, and will more than likely hate my life during the entire process of helping you move.
For that reason, on the following pages is an agreement I am asking you to sign and abide by, whole heartedly, in an effort to preserve our relationship during this stressful time.
Moving day is inherently traumatic. Tempers will flare, words will be said, fights will be had, but if we can agree to the terms of my labor we’ll move forward with a strong a healthy relationship. By signing this agreement we will mutually agree upon several terms by which both of us will abide by regardless how moving day goes.
As I hope you will see from the listed expectations, the overall theme is respect for my time and energy. If you ask me, or any other friend or family member to help you move, I expect you to be fully prepared on the agreed upon date and time. I also expect anyone else you recruit to help, to arrive ready to work. Moving day is not social hour! These people are you friends and family and there will be plenty of other opportunities to socialize with them. Moving day is meant for work and only work until the job is done.
Please continue to the next page to review the moving agreement.
- You agree and acknowledge that you have 2 hours of my time. (does not include travel time across town if necessary) Ideally this will allow 1 hour and 30 minutes for loading the truck, and 30 minutes to unload. If for any reason we use more than the allotted amount of time, I will be held guiltless for leaving to pursue other activities of any kind.
- I will allot up to 20 minutes before we begin moving for socialization and communication of game plan. Beyond that 20 minutes, you will begin using the 2 hours I’ve allotted to help you move.
- I will not begin moving until the majority (more than half) of your crew has finished socializing. Although I am available to help you move, I am one person and should not be expected to contribute more or less than the rest of your moving team. (Moving team consists of all friends/family present at either home during any point of the move)
- Timer will start when I lift the first item or at the end of the 20 minutes of socialization.
- All residents of the home are required to be assisting with the moving process.
- Exceptions to this rule only apply if a resident is medically unable to help or one parent (maximum) is watching children. Also your ex-significant other is excused if they’re evicting you from the house under less than amicable circumstances.
- You agree that prior to moving day, every item to be moved will be appropriately packed, prepared, and readied to be loaded onto a truck. In the case that you have not sufficiently prepared your home for moving I will immediately leave and return on a new date and time we agree to.
- You agree that any items NOT being moved will be cleared away from all doors and entry ways prior to moving day to allow unfettered access to all items being moved. Furthermore, you agree that all items NOT being moved will be cleared away from all items that ARE being moved to allow movers ease of access.
- If there are large items NOT being moved, and/or a significant amount of items NOT being moved, those items will be segregated from all other belongings so as to make it clear and easy to know which items will be moved.
- Segregation is defined by walls of rooms. I will not be moving half a room and leaving the other half. That becomes too difficult to communicate with your movers and will constitute a violation of this agreement.
- Last minute decisions of whether furniture stays or goes is not acceptable. All large items that cannot be easily segregated will have a large, easily identifiable symbol attached so I know not to move it.
- You agree the truck (or other mode of transportation), and all appropriate materials will be at the home you are moving FROM at or before the agreed upon time. If for any reason the vehicle is more than 5 minutes late, you understand I as your mover will be held guiltless if I leave. If such an event were to occur, I am willing to return on a new day and time we agree upon. You as the home owner are expected to be fully prepared prior to moving day.
- Hand trucks/dolly’s are highly recommend in order to stay within designated time frame.
- In certain situations, I will refuse to move an item if you are not properly prepared with a hand truck or other device designed to reduce the likelihood of my being injured. Such refusal is at my sole discretion and is NOT up for debate.
- Upon arrival at your new home, you will have a plan in place to instruct me, as your mover, where everything goes with zero lag time. Under no circumstance will I stand in one place holding a piece of furniture, box or other item while you decide which room it belongs in. In the case you have no answer all items will be moved into the main living area of the home with no exceptions.
- If this occurs, I will operate on a 3 strike policy. If for any reason you cannot immediately give instructions for a maximum number of 3 items, all items moved after the 3rd strike will automatically go to the main living area. If the main living area is full all items moved from the truck will go to a random room in which I (or other person who is assisting me move a large item) select. It will be your responsibility after moving day to move items to their proper room.
- All pets, children, toys, and other obstacles of any kind will be moved away from both premises’ before and during the move.
- Pets may be locked in a bathroom or other secluded area where they cannot interfere with the moving process.
- Children too young to assist with moving will be at a sitter’s house or other location. Your attention should be on the move and not your children while you have friends/family helping you move.
- One parent maximum is allowed to watch children at a different location other than the homes. However, this should be a last resort as the homeowners are expected to help as much as possible.
- Assisting with moving is qualified by being able to lift an average size box with average weight and all items lighters than the average box of average weight.
- Friends/Family should be discouraged from bringing their children or pets to either home during the move so they too are putting more effort into assisting your move than herding children.
- If multiple trips will be needed for any reason, you will notify all movers that multiple trips will be needed at least one week before the move.
- Multiple trips include stops at storage units, dumpsters, donation center, etc. (This list can and will be expanded in the future and does not constitute the entire list of qualified stops)
- If an additional/secondary trip is needed to a storage unit, I will allot another 20 minutes to packing/unpacking as needed. I will have sole discretion as to the allotment of additional time.
- You agree and acknowledge that I am not a professional mover. I am a friend/family member helping you move in order to save the expense of hiring a professional.
- You agree and acknowledge that I will work hard not to damage any of your belongings but you also agree and acknowledge that an inherent part of moving is that items sometimes break in the process of moving. You agree to hold me harmless if an item I move, touch, transport or have any other contact with in any fashion, is accidently damaged in any manner.
- You agree and acknowledge that any derogatory rhetoric exchanged between us during this stressful time will not affect our relationship in any manner. When your move is done we can sit down and drink a beer together and laugh at each other’s stress.
- If you supply food during the move, I will take 30 minutes to eat. If your team of movers decides to take longer than the allotted 30 minutes, time will start coming off the allotted 2 hours for moving.
- I will not begin moving again until the majority (more than half) of your crew has finished eating and socializing. I am one person and should not be expected to contribute more or less than the rest of your moving team.
- I do not require that you provide food and/or drink (water is required, therefore cups are required) but I do appreciate when it’s offered as it is an appropriate quid pro quo for the effort I’m exerting as a favor to you.
- Absurd requests such as taking my shoes off at either home will result in the loss of my help. If this is something you’re concerned about I expect you to either hire a professional mover or supply another means by which we can come and go as we move such as supplying surgical slippers. (Please note surgical slippers will remain on my feet the entire time and will not be removed each time I leave the house)
- Removal of shoes is an example only. Requests will be designated as absurd on a situational basis and will be subject to my sole discretion.
- Hand written changes to this document will occur on a situational basis. Although I’ve tried to be thorough in outlining my expectations, there will be additional expectations added over time and may or may not be added in the middle of moving day.
This agreement is between:
Mover Name: Mover Signature:
Home Owner Name: Home Owner Signature: _______________________________ ______________________________________
(Photo Cred: lambertrelocation.com)